This adventure trek takes you into the remote jungle on the western side of Ba Be National Park. You will trek into the thick jungle to discover the sheer, natural beauty of Ba Be National Park. Whilst exploring the park, you will be able to meet the local people living and farming here as you trek to some of the ethnic minority villages. The trip will be topped off with a boat trip and cave exploration. This action-packed trip is perfect for those with a keen sense of adventure and a good level of fitness.
Note: Tham Phay Cave is a major new discovery in the north and another great reason to visit Ba Be National Park, an area of limestone karst mountains surrounding spectacular lakes. This cave is yet to be documented by geologists and is sure to bring out your inner explorer.
- Jungle trek inside Ba Be National Park and walk through river
- Explore the diverse and beautiful landscapes of Ba Be
- Cross Pelu Stream and navigate some steep terrain
- Visit some local family of H’Mong ethnic people
- Picnic lunch with traditional food is prepared by the local people
- Visit the stilt houses and school of the Dzao people
- Do the boat trip on Nang river
- Visit the legend An Ma temple in the middle of Ba Be Lake
- Discover a magnificent Puong Cave in Ba Be National Park system
- Swim in a pretty natural freshwater lake
3 days 2 nights
Level of difficulty:
30 – 35km trek
Percentage of trekking:
Jungle 60%, trail 40%
150m – 600m
Small group tour:
08:00 AM at Mr Linh's Adventures - Ba Be
05:00 PM at Mr Linh's Adventures - Ba Be
$292 / person
Day 1: Ba Be National Park (L, D)
You will be collected from your hotel at 07:30 to start your discovery of Ba Be National Park. After 15km driving to Buoc Loom harbour, You will voyage on the River Nang following it through the foothills of the towering limestone peaks. The journey down the river will bring you to the mouth of Puong Cave, a large cavern standing 30m high and 300m long. Puong cave sits at the base of the majestic Lung Nham Mountain, one in a chain of limestone mountains that spread across the sky and the river. The cave is not only impressive for its towering structure, but you will also the amazing colonies of bats living the cave with 18 different species currently inhabiting it and adventure 7 km trek on the trails of Ba Be's jungle. You will spend the first night relaxing in Mr Hung’s homestay, a Dzao's ethnic family.
- A 7-10km trek in the jungle
Day 2: Trekking in Ba Be National Park (B, L, D)
Today is the day to unleash your inner adventurer as you veer off the beaten path and into the mountains of North Vietnam. You will get away from the usual tourist destinations in favour of discovering the true, pure beauty of nature. As you trek further, the staggering mountains, winding rivers and mystical caves are all waiting to be explored. Along the way, you will meet the H’mong peopl
e as who will share their culture with you. You will also travel to the villages of Khau Qua
and Nam Dai
and meet the Dzao people
and visit their beautifully crafted wooden houses nestled in the mountains and valleys. You will then venture to Coc Toc where you will experience the life of the Tay locals who reside in tall, wooden stilt houses. You will get a firsthand experience of sleeping in a stilt house as you stay overnight in Mr Linh’s homestay
- 12- 15km trek in the jungle
Day 3: Tham Phay Cave Expedition (B, L)
Next, let your adventure take to the water as you delve deep into the dark and mysterious caves. Shrouded in ancient beliefs, Hua Ma cave
had until recently, been left undisturbed. This could be due to the local legends of the cries of ghosts that used to echo from the cave until a king built a pagoda to pray for their peace. Fear not though for what awaits you inside is an astonishing labyrinth of intricately carved stone. The stalactites and stalagmites pierce the echoing chamber, all carved out over years of geological activity.
Another gem that was only recently discovered nestled in amongst the impressive karst mountains is Tham Phay cave
. This undocumented cave is accessed by a small opening covered by jungle overgrowth making it very secluded and difficult to find. It will ignite the imaginations of any explorer as you climb down into the recesses and discover the incredible rock formations and lights that dance in this cave. The cave is also host to a whole array of bats and insects.
After the excitement of the day exploring you will be greeted with a warm welcome back at Ba Be lake. Ends tour.
- A 6km trek, 5km expedition
- Accomodation overnight at Homestay
- Experienced local English speaking guide.
- Kayak, dry bags, sports equipment and life jackets
- Meals as stated in the itinerary (B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner)
- All sightseeing tickets.
- No extra charge after confirmation
- 24/7 hotline support guaranteed
Tham Phay cave expedition:
- Safety and caving equipment: caving helmets, caving headlights, gloves
- Basic canvas hiking boots (only if you don't have your own) sizes 36 - 46
- Water and picnic lunch
- Professional English speaking guide and safety assistant
- Porters to prepare meals and pump water
- Shared dry storage case for small phones and cameras (limited quantities for larger cameras)
- Water filter (only used by guide and porter)
- Eco-friendly compost toilet using western-style toilet at lunch spot
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (applicable to instructors and porters only)
- Dry box prepared in case of high water level
- Safe storage at Mr Linh Adventures - Ba Be Headquarters to store your luggage that you won't take with you when you go backpacking
What to take:
+ Pack essentials, including light comfortable clothes suitable for outdoor activities, comfortable walking shoes. Take a small day pack for hiking and trekking.
+ It is essential to bring your passport on this trip. We also recommend packing: insect repellent, sun cream, raincoat and sun hat...
Have a good journey!